Friday, March 23, 2012

Drop It!

Have you ever picked up someone’s purse and it felt as heavy as a bag of rocks? Why, many men ask, do woman carry so much stuff? I can’t speak for everyone, but I think people with hefty purses just like to be prepared—for everything and everybody.

My purse isn’t heavy because I carry outrageous items; I simply tote around the necessary and the mundane. Even light-weight items like tissues, hand sanitizer, lotion, coins, chap stick, assorted coupons, and keys add weight to a purse. When our kids were younger I had to catch myself to avoid inadvertently pulling out crayons to sign checks. While searching in her purse, one of my relatives pulled out those huge, colorful, plastic toy keys that toddlers jingle and suck on instead of grabbing the keys that could actually start her car. And if you think that’s bad, take a look at this:



The jury’s still out about whether that counted as an intervention. Notice how Bre neither needed nor used many of the items she toted around with her? The baggage she lugged around was beginning to take a physical toll on her body. Regardless of whether we carry a heavy purse or not, the point is: we all have individual habits, ideas, practices, emotions and personal rules that need purging. What kind of baggage are you carrying? 


1 comment:

Thewordman said...

Baggage... My initial reaction was to get "spiritual" and say that we are to cast all of our baggage (cares) on Christ. In reality we do lug around a lot of stuff we need to purge. Honestly for me, the most overwhelming thing is something the Apostle Paul knew about. In 2 Corinthians 11 he lists some things he went through: beatings... being stoned... three times shipwrecked... a night and a day in the deep... in journeys often, in perils of waters, in perils of robbers, in perils of my his countrymen, in perils of the Gentiles, in perils in the city, in perils in the wilderness, in perils in the sea, in perils among false brethren; in weariness and toil, in sleeplessness often, in hunger and thirst, in fastings often, in cold and nakedness... I've taken my lumps for Christ, but nothing like Paul. But the last thing he mentioned is the baggage I often find myself carrying around: "Besides the other things, what comes upon me daily: my deep concern for all the churches." I don't ever want to be purged of that concern, but I do want to let Someone stronger than me carry that load.