Saturday, January 24, 2015

I’m Wrong? You’re Wrong!

I overheard someone say, “The color yellow makes me sad.” Yellow? Sad? Really? Bright, sunny colors like yellow, red, and orange are supposed to cheer us up. I thought brown, black, and gray were the designated “sad” colors. The more I read, the more I see how two people can look at the same situation and arrive at two different conclusions.

Have you ever read the comments section below an online article? Let’s imagine an article about a second grade class studying rainbows in school. One commenter might celebrate rainbows and how children should be exposed to science in all its beautiful forms. The next commenter does a complete reverse. They’ll state that rainbows are trivial and irrelevant, and since they disappear quickly, studying rainbows could lead to depression in young students. Sure it sounds far-fetched, but I’ve read some unbelievable comments. Consider these perspectives:      
                                          http://youtu.be/1K5SycZjGhI

So should we name blocks or streets? Who’s right and who’s wrong? If you can convince anyone to agree with you, it probably won’t be because you stood on the opposite side of the street engaging in name-calling. For some reason, people act like that strategy wins arguments. I doubt it. Which cultural debate have you been trying to win? State your case.          
 

No comments: