Thursday, October 25, 2012

The Raw Truth

“Why are you doing this to us?”
Don’t worry, no foul play here. That’s the question I heard at the dinner table when I told the kids to eat their lima beans. I can think of worse things to eat. As a child, I was curious and didn’t mind tasting various foods. I’ve eaten liver, the dreaded brussels sprouts and several parts of a pig that I wouldn’t touch now.

I don’t know how I survived eating grade school lunches. Back then, my classmates seemed to have an unspoken rule for not admitting that we enjoyed any of the meals, even after grabbing  second helpings. Despite the school administration’s attempt to make the lunches nutritious, the vegetables still tasted awful. Many times they arrived cold, undercooked and flavorless. The school cooks should have skipped the cooking and served the veggies raw.  Most people probably prefer raw vegetables anyway, except in this video. Forget flavor, these people think certain vegetables are downright dangerous.  Take a look:

                                          http://youtu.be/MPMGqvLo7fM
I’m sure my kids would love to toss lima beans off their plates. Unfortunately, following our initial instincts doesn’t always cause us to choose the best option. What do you resist doing, but muddle through because it’s the wisest decision?        
 

No comments: