Friday, April 27, 2012

A Colossal Tizzy?

Do you ever waver between two opposing positions? For example, consider the pupfish from last week’s post. Sure, I’m in favor of preventing the extinction of a unique species of fish but, can we accomplish that objective for free? How much money should biologists spend to save the tiny pupfish?

This dilemma reminds me of the conflict I have with the space program.  I’m always intrigued by the universe, its colors, the galaxies, comets, the planets and quasars. I love when astronomers discover new planets and black holes and have to toss previously held theories because of new findings. The universe stretches the limits of our imagination.  Let’s take a peek at what’s out there:



Despite the universe’s awesomeness, I’m not sure we should spend billions on space exploration.  How does it improve our daily lives? I’m trapped between two sides; I support space exploration but, I also believe in curtailing NASA’s funding for shuttles and probes. We’ll just have to channel our financial resources toward purchasing better and more powerful telescopes.

I’m sure you feel pulled in different directions over various issues.  Which two opposing concerns keep you in a tizzy?        

No comments: