Thursday, December 8, 2011

Behold The Past

During this time of the year we become nostalgic about past Christmases. We fondly recall our favorite gift and reminisce over the wonderful hours spent with friends and family.
Years ago, I taught a teen class. The lesson focused on living each moment to the fullest. We talked about how older adults sometimes idealize their high school memories and behave as though the best years have passed. I wonder at what point those adults concluded that their high school years were the best ones. Was it after family responsibilities piled up? In light of a job and bill-paying, I can understand why your high school experience might very well seem like paradise.
As a child, while playing school, I wrote in red crayon on our yellow dining room wallpaper while correcting an imaginary student’s class paper. It was an accident but back then, as I stared at that red mark I remember thinking, “If only I could go back in time…” I felt the weighty truth of how some mistakes cannot be undone and how time marches forward, no turning back. Fortunately, I managed to get off with a stern warning. We can’t change the past, but our tomorrows are a different story. Check out this inspiring video about a man who has plans for the future:


Now there’s a story that might cause us to ponder the possibility of time travel. Be careful going under the sink. 
If you could travel back in time, which wonderful moment would you (re-)celebrate?                      

No comments: