Friday, July 22, 2011

The Other Boomerang Effect

Our scattered summer schedule dampens my work-out schedule. During winter, spring and fall, I visit the gym on a somewhat regular basis—at least twice a month (yes, monthly).  But not in the summertime, that’s when my work-out schedule consists of running up and down the stairs with laundry. Actually that doesn’t sound like a bad work-out, and frankly, it’s better than nothing.
Another thing that gets me through many non-existent gym days is the exercise l had in high school. Oh yes, that old physical exertion that built up my cardiovascular system then is saving me now. When my husband leaves for the gym, I explain that I’m still living off the benefits gained from track practice decades ago.  By the way, feel free to borrow this excuse, I’m sure there’s logic in there somewhere.
I might expand my exercise regimen, just in case my theory isn’t true. I could build up slowly with something like a boomerang. It’s a great invention. Stand still, throw it and the amazing thing comes right back to you. Does it get any better than that?  Apparently, it started out as a weapon in ancient civilizations and now it’s become a sport. Take a look at someone who takes boomeranging to another level:


Well, maybe I underestimated the complexities of handling a boomerang…
 Actually the idea of sending something out and having it return extends deep into our culture. We’ve heard the saying, “what goes around, comes around” which implies that our good behaviors will come back to benefit us and our bad behaviors will come back to harm us.  What’s the basis for this concept? Does it ring true in your life?          

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"What goes around, comes around" is apparently also a Justin Timberlake song and a clothing line. (I researched it online trying to see what the "idiom" meant and/or its origin). Usually it is thought of in the negative, and is related to "karma"; I think the positive could work, too. It reminds me of the other saying, "pay it forward," where you do something nice for someone and hope or even ask that person to pass that goodwill along to someone else.