Saturday, February 23, 2013

What’s Your Treasure?

What makes a great gift? I received a pine tree during the holidays. The plant only measured about eight inches high, but with time and the right environment, it could grow up to two hundred feet. Now that’s a gift. Isn’t it amazing that something so small has the potential to grow so large? The next time someone asks me if anything is new I may say, “Well, I am growing a two-hundred-foot tree inside my house.” There’s a conversation starter.

I’m sure we all have a few unique items sitting in our homes, items with a story about how we acquired them or why we think they’re special. Perhaps you have a collection like one of these:

                                         http://youtu.be/LV-8_ZAG9HQ   Britain’s 5

 As a child, I collected unusual pebbles and kept them hidden in a small, white box under my bed. I remember admiring the smooth or glittery ones the most. I still like finding pretty shells at the beach and I’ll usually bring some home, but no more than a handful. The collections in the video started small and then took on a life of their own. Items often become favorites when they’re odd, evoke wonder and emotion or because they’re connected to a special event or person.   

What’s your most treasured item and why is it so special?       

No comments: