Thursday, July 12, 2012

The Uninvited Guests

Dragonflies! The name should strike fear into your heart like it did in mine when one flew into our vehicle and bumped against the windshield. The inside of the car magnified its buzz, causing a deafening sound. Okay, maybe that’s a slight exaggeration, but I’m glad I was parked when the bug buzzed in. I jumped from our car with one mission in mind: Get the insect out! Fortunately, the dragonfly found an open window and escaped on its own.

Of course, this scary incident prompted me to research these mini-monsters. Thanks to this link, I learned several eye-opening facts:
1.      A dragonfly remains in the larva stage for up to three years, feasting in ponds and rivers.
2.      While living in water, the insects are large enough to devour small fish.
3.      Dragonflies do not bite or sting humans. Good to know!      
I had a harmless guest, but the guest in this video has teeth made for biting and devouring. Take a look:


Hmm, maybe her mountain lion statue functioned like a beacon, summoning the real thing right up to her front door. What uninvited guest have you encountered? Was it friend or foe?   

No comments: